15 June 2010

Oh My Aching Knees....

Ok.. I really do want to exercise more.. but here is my problem my knees (and my left hip).. boy do I sound old ... but by the end of the day I am walking around like an aroused penguin..


So that should be enough motivation to drop the lbs as fast as I can.  The fact is, even with the weight I have loss to date, my knees and hip still kill me as I drag this weight around... and yes I know that water aerobics would be the best exercise for me at this point..

The challenge for me is that I like to walk, but I find that at my pace of a  brisk stroll it just isn't cutting it for weightloss, I really need something more that will crank up the heart rate..

However, I am determined to work my way up to a pace that will really give me some good ROI..

In the meantime.. Here are a few "did you know" tidbits about the knees:


  • Losing a Pound Results in a 4-Pound Reduction in Knee-Joint Load For Each Step in Overweight and Obese Patients.  cited scientific reference
  • The leading cause of disability in the United States, osteoarthritis (OA) is a complex, degenerative joint disease with several established risk factors.
  • The accumulated reduction in knee load for a 1-pound loss in weight would be more than 4,800 pounds per mile walked. 
  • For people losing 10 pounds, each knee would be subjected to 48,000 pounds less in compressive load per mile walked.
Imagine that.. for each 10 pounds you lose, you are reducing the stress in your knees by 48,000 lbs for each mile walked.. that is a pretty powerful statement.

.

4 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. :) I had knee surgery 10 years ago and need it again. I refuse to have it until I get weight off. I can walk short distances, but I have to "ice, ice baby..." when I get home. I do okay with a stationery bike. Have you tried that? Maybe spinning?

    It is discouraging with exercise when you have knee pain. Slows things down. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that makes a puny pound here or there seem so much more significant. Poor Barbara, I'm sorry for you and your aching knees. You're on your way, just hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Barbara, smart cookie-- you are right, and knee pain totally interferes with exercise, which interferes with weight loss and it is a terrible cycle.
    In any case: can you possibly swim for exercise? That is a great no impact exercise and burns TONS of calories.
    Also: have you seen an Orthopedist or Physiatrist for some advice about how to help the knee pain? If not, go ahead and make an appointment-- I want you to feel better soon!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...our poor knees....you know what I am going to suggest??? Swimming or cycling, weights??? You can get creative if you have to...been there done that. How is Mark travelling???

    ReplyDelete